Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Welcome



     This on-line Magazine and blog is for the aircraft owner. The student pilot. The person that has always wanted to take flying lesson, but has never found the time or the money. I've heard it over and over, time and time again. Where can I find a reliable place to work on your plane? Who gives flying lessons close to where I live? How can I get started in aviation? Where can I find out about aviation events or fly-in/drive-in breakfasts.
     This site is about General Aviation Today in Minnesota. Regardless where you live in Minnesota, there is a good shop, safe school or friendly airport that would love to have you bring your children to see airplanes and experience aviation.
     I want to share my passion of flying with anyone interested in experiencing the rush of landing a Piper Cub on a grass runway, or strapping themselves in an aerobatic aircraft and experiencing their first loop, roll and spin. It's about flying a corporate aircraft with company employees to Chicago, or loading the Cessna 185 Anfib with gear in hand heading North for the weekend.
     
     I experience this everyday, and you can too. Let me share an example with you.
Two weeks ago, I spent a couple of days with Wendell Setterberg.

     I drove out to his cabin on Lake Pulaski, MN. where I found him pumping water out of his floats on his Cessna 172 sea plane. Slight breeze from the West, the leaves were already falling and I was his last student for the season before his departure for Arizona for the Winter.
     There is something exhilarating walking up to a plane parked on a lake. The water lapping against the floats as the breeze causes the handling ropes from the tie down rings to circle in the air. It's like the best of everything, boating and flying all wrapped into one.
     
     I've been a boater my whole life, as well as a pilot. Why did I wait so long to bring these two loves together?

     "Hi Mike", Wendell hollered as I approached. Then he threw me the hand pump. "you finish pumping out the floats, I've got to go make a call".

     45 minutes and 400 pumps later, Wendell walked down the hill just as the last cell was emptied. 

     After a lengthily conversation ranging from step turns to glassy water landings, we untied the little 172 and climbed in. Not much time for the check list, get'er started before she drifts too far from the dock or bangs into something expensive. Once started, low idle pulls the craft slowly through the water.

     Rudders down, rudders up, sailing, power turns, step turns, parking, all tools and techniques that transfer quite easily from my old Amberjack.

     Finally, the moment of truth, the part of the training I've been waiting for. Rudders up, control wheel back, power in and up on plane. Just like a speed boat, gently adjusting the pitch with the trim and the control wheel eliminating as much drag as possible to allow the plane to pick up speed quicker.

     Off the water, the shoreline slowly drops below the nose and that beat up old 172 pulls Me, Wendell and the massive floats through a slow climb. 

     Flying has always been an adventure as well as my profession. I want to share my experiences as well as so many other stories from friends. Join us in this adventure.
Regardless of what you hear, Aviation in Minnesota is alive and well.

     If you have any questions or comments, please let us know. We don't know it all but we have lots of friend who do!


Michael Wiskus
Lucas Oil Airshow Pilot
West Metro Aviation-Buffalo, MN.
 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea Mike. MN aviators could definately use a way to comunicate and shar stories. I am really glad that they finaly got the tail wheel out from under you and replaced it with a set of floats. Each and every day I feel fortunate to have seaplanes as a big part of my life, each and every pilot should experience the exhileration of adding power and getting onto step. Unfortunately we are just about to wind up float season and close the resort on Sunday. I am already looking forward to spring. Winter will bring ski flying, which is a thrill as well. I hope that pilots use this great media source that has been created. I will make sure to post my personal adventures and look very forward to reading about others. My most recent adventure was installing a car seat in my Cruisemaster and taking my 20 month old son up for his first flight in a small bird. That was a thrill.

    Ben Thuringer
    Madden's Resort

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new site looks great Mike! We've been on a campaign for years to get the word out on all of the great things pilots can do with their licenses after the check ride, and I hope this becomes the forum for that excitement. Keep up the tireless work and I'll bring one of my students out to Buffalo to visit soon.
    -Ben McQuillan

    ReplyDelete